Pretzels have to be one of my favourite treats to make. If you are up for something a little more challenging than bread why not give this a go. They are a little bit more fiddley but have a great flavour and are great fun to make. I would recommend you read this whole recipe before you get started so you understand the whole process clearly.
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 mins
Cook Time: 10-15mins
Portions: 8-10 Pretzels
- 1 1/2 Cups (360 ml) Warm Water
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Packet active dry yeast ( About 2 table spoons)
- 2 Cups Strong White Flour
- 2 Cups Wholemeal Bread Flour
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 3 Tbsp Baking Soda/ Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 Beaten egg
- Toppings of your choice (I used chia seeds and grated cheese)
- Fist get a large bowl and add your warm water followed by your salt and sugar then mix well
- Now sprinkle your dried yeast on top of the water (Do NOT mix in, let it sit on top) and leave to activate for 10 mins until it start to foam
- Now your yeast is alive its time to add both of your flours and oil to the water mixture
- Now mix it all together until it forms a rough dough. This doesn’t have to be totally smooth just come together in a large ball
- Cover your dough with cling film and leave in a warm place for 1 hour
- Whiles you wait pre heat your oven to 230c / 450 F/ Gas Mark 8
- Now your dough has been left for an hour tip it on to a lightly floured surface and cut into 8 piece or 10 if you want smaller pretzels
- Now time to shape. Roll each piece into long thin rope shapes then twist the end to create your pretzel shape (to get some tips on how to do this watch the video below). This technique my time a few try’s to master but give it a go. Continue this process with all your dough.
- Now your pretzels are shaped put a large pan of water on to boil and add your baking soda/ bicarbonate of soda.
- Once your water is boiling gently boil each pretzel for about 30 seconds then put on a baking tray.
- Now its time to egg wash each pretzel and top with what ever you like. A personal favourite of mine is chia seed as they add a nice crunch
- Now bake for 10 – 15mins until golden brown
- Now time to enjoy for lunch or an afternoon snack