Spanish omelette or Tortilla has to be one of my favourite things in the world. I am actually half Spanish and have grown up with my grandads amazing recipe and no matter how many times I try to recreate it, it’s still not as good as his. So this is his secret or not so secret recipe. Defiantly not a healthy option but it sure does taste good.
Prep Time: 1 Hour (Max)
Cook Time: 5 -10 mins
Portions: 6- 8 Slices
- 4 Eggs
- 10 Medium- Small Potatoes
- Pinch of Salt
- First you need to preheat a pan of oil, this will be used to fry your potatoes in
- Now peel and cut your potatoes into small slices (Look at picture below for in idea of thickness)
- Now fry your potatoes, taking care as the oil is very hot. Whiles they are cooking whisk your eggs in a large bowl with a pinch of salt and put to one side
- Now your potatoes are cooked drain the oil by putting your cooked potatoes in a sieve and waiting a few mins to let all the oil drain out. This is a crucial step as it will help to stop the omelette from becoming greasy, and no one wants that!
- Now you can add your cooked drained potatoes into your eggs and mix well until they are all coated evenly in egg
- Now put your frying pan back on the hob on a medium – high heat with a small amount of oil to heat up
- Now time to cook, you will have to work quickly. Be sure to have a plate and cloth next to you as you will use this to flip your omelette
- Ok now you are prepare tip your eggy potato mix into the pan and cook for approximately 3 – 5 mins or until you can see the sides start to come away and cook
- Now it’s time to flip, so grab your plate and place it on top of the pan and use the cloth and flip your omelette onto the plate, then slide the omelette back into the pan to cook the other side. You have to committee to the flip or you might burn yourself so be brave and do it !
- Now cook the other side for another 3 – 5 mins until aging the edges start to come away
- Then plate and enjoy ! (It will be slightly running in the middle but this is what makes it taste amazing so enjoy)